named

We accidentally named our twins on Saturday.  I will explain... but first I will give you some context....

The first thing Andrew did (well after he hugged me of course) after we found out that our IVF round worked was create a multiple tab spread sheet in excel with baby names.... did I mention that he's an engineer?

I, on the other hand, was way too anxious about finding out what the sex of the baby was.  I didn't want to discuss names until we knew what we were having for fear of falling in love with a name, imagining the baby and then being disappointed when we couldn't have that baby with that name.  Of course when we found out we were having twins my anxiousness increased.  So for a few months Andrew would suggest new names and I would throw out a non-committed comment and wait for the discussion to end.

Once we found out that we're having girls I wanted to name them.... right away.  Out came the spreadsheet.  There was one name that I've loved for a long time and Andrew was warming up to it (I think deep down he loves it too, or at least that is what I am telling myself... I mean it did make it onto the spreadsheet).  I had fueled Andrew's naming habit by giving him a baby name book in his stocking at Christmas.  I was flipping through it that day and found another option that I immediately loved.  Luckily, Andrew loved it too.

At this point I was ready to commit to these names for life..... Andrew..... not so much.  He wanted to make sure we didn't fall in love with other names first.  I am, and always have been, more of the love at first sight type so I knew that for me... these were it.... but if he wanted more time, then he could have more time... I mean I wouldn't even discuss the issue until recently.

Well on Saturday I started ordering art for the nursery.  We decided to order a custom print with both of the girls names on it.  We drew up the order and submitted it.

We named them.... without really realizing it.

I think that easy decisions are more meant to be.

Of course, you will have to wait a few months to find out who they are.  This is one secret that I am now convinced we should keep.

Toes by LucyGracePhotography via etsy

Comments

  1. What a great story! Can't wait to hear what names you guys picked.

    Congrats on the girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its all so exciting! Naming the babies is a big deal!! My husband and I narrowed down the names for our little girl, but we felt we had to see her face. Glad I waited because she definately looked more like a Veronica than a Felicity:) Can't wait to see what you all chose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely. I reeaalllly want to know what names you've chosen now though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! Names have so much meaning and are a big deal to us as well. We aren't sharing our names either... something has to be left for a surprise ;-)

    Plus, we LOVE our names and don't want anyones input... good or bad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw I loved reading that! I can't wait to find out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is great! it probably feels like they have more of an identity inside of you now don't you think?
    did you see cup of jo's post yesterday about baby names? the comments are awesome and now i don't think i'll ever be able to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well than what am I going to get tattooed on my before I come home to surprise you guys?? Juuust kidding...thats so funny, cant wait to hear what my little nieces are called!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fiance and I actually had a spreadsheet too! We both made separtae list that we combines and then ranked to get our top choices. We actually used the same process for both our cat and dog before we got pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marissa from the boot - I saw the post but didn't read the comments. At this point I just don't want any more contenders since we've decided!

    Stephanie - Although the twins might appreciate the gesture.... I don't want their aunty to be too tatted up!

    Brooke - It's nice to hear that we're not the only spreadsheet family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you on keeping it a secret. I have told a few people of the names we were thinking of and people always have their opinions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awe, I totally want to know now too!!! Hilarious, my husband is also an engineer and has used the spreadsheet for many decisions...completely cracked me up that yours does the same!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can totally relate to the spread sheet.... my husband is exactly the same way. Can't wait to find out what you guys chose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to hear the names. I want to guess Lucy and Grace because of the name on the photo attached but I am probably wrong....haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow so many spreadsheet couples out there, who knew!

    KC - well it was worth a guess but you'll just have to wait! (Those aren't the names though)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the blog~thanks for using my photo! Those sweet little toes are almost 6 years old now!
    Carmen
    (I'm next door @ http://momentsthatglitter.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I like comments (almost) as much as like wine!